Skip to content

For rental tenants

Improving the energy efficiency of your rented home

If you’re a tenant in a rental property in Oxfordshire and you think the energy efficiency of your home could be improved, there are a few things you can do:

Encourage your landlord to act

Contact your landlord

We’ve made it easy for you to reach out to your landlord with a simple message. Use our provided email template to send a clear and straightforward message to your landlord or letting agent, asking for energy efficiency improvements. You can also share our information about how Cosy Homes Oxfordshire can support landlords with energy efficiency assessments.

As a tenant you have certain rights. If your landlord does not act, you may need to refer them to your local authority.

Your landlord’s energy efficiency requirements

Landlords in the UK have been required by law to meet a Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard for their properties before renting to a new tenant.  Since 1 April 2020, this requirement also came into force for the renewal of existing tenancies. Understanding these requirements and areas where your property may be lacking will help you communicate the issue(s) to your landlord.

You can find your EPC rating through the EPC register.

Useful resources

Grant funding

As a tenant you may be eligible for some grant funding to improve the energy efficiency of your rental home. Although you will need your landlord’s permission to carry out any work. Find out more about grant funding available from Oxford City Council.

Get more support

Better Housing Better Health (BHBH) is a free advice service supporting residents to keep warm, stay safe and live well in their homes. They can provide advice and information on grants and other support available. [Link]

© Cosy Homes Oxfordshire 2024 All rights reserved
For a better viewing experience we recommend you upgrade your browser.