As we’ve developed the Cosy Homes Oxfordshire service, we’ve also developed several resources on home retrofit and energy efficiency.
We’ve developed several resources on home retrofit as we’ve developed the Cosy Homes Oxfordshire service, so on this page we’ve brought these resources together into a library to make them easily accessible. The resources on this page are:
- Explainer videos
- Retrofit case studies – video and written PDF
- Cosy Homes interactive house: highlighting common areas of wasted energy in the home, and energy efficiency measures to reduce this
- Cosy Homes Plan Builder: a free tool to get an initial idea of the opportunity to reduce energy use and carbon emissions in your home through retrofit (currently available to Oxfordshire postcodes only)
- Webinar recordings and short clips
- Communications pack for rental tenants.
How home retrofit can transform a cold, draughty house into a cosy and energy efficient home
Behind the scenes during home energy assessments in Hook Norton, Oxfordshire
The importance of home retrofit in the context of the climate emergency – interviews with Oxfordshire’s community
How to heat your home without relying on oil or gas – greener ways to heat the home
Retrofit case studies
Retrofitting to get a Hook Norton cottage off fossil fuels for good [PDF]
Retrofitting an end-of-terrace family home in east Oxford [PDF]
Tackling extreme mould in a semi-detached house in Headington with presenter Charlie Luxton
Retrofitting a barn in Hook Norton to add additional space to the home with presenter Charlie Luxton
Making a cold, dark terraced house in Oxford feel cosy and warm with presenter Charlie Luxton
The Cosy Homes Interactive House
Our interactive ‘Cosy House’ demonstrates common areas where energy is lost in our homes, and the energy efficiency measures which can be put in place to help homeowners stop wasting energy and reduce their environmental impact. It can be found on our Homeowners webpage.
The Cosy Homes Plan Builder
Curious about what a retrofit might look like for your home but not quite ready to register? We’ve developed the Cosy Homes Oxfordshire Plan Builder to help you get an idea of the retrofit opportunity for your home and build a plan of action – at no cost to you. It’s currently available for Oxfordshire postcodes only.
Pilot phase learnings and impact report
During the pilot phase we launched our whole retrofit service, making countless learnings along the way about delivering home retrofit – from the marketing to engaging with contractors to delivering work onsite. To mark the end of our pilot phase, we shared these learnings as well as the impact Cosy Homes Oxfordshire had during this first phase.
Home retrofit webinars
A beginners guide to home retrofit with Douglas Drewniak
Why we need whole house retrofit schemes to improve the energy efficiency of our homes – and an introduction to Cosy Homes Oxfordshire with Geordie Stewart
A guide to using air source or ground source heat pumps to heat your home, with Retrofit Coordinator Natasha Ginks
A guide to insulating your home – loft, roof, floor, and wall insulation, with Retrofit Coordinator Paola Sassi
A playlist of short clips from our webinar series: key questions in home retrofit
- A definition of ‘retrofit’
- Why the average UK home is not energy efficient
- A simple way to understand home retrofit – the thermos flask analogy
- The difference between Internal, External, and cavity wall insulation
- When to consider roof or loft insulation
- Which are better, double or triple glazed windows?
- The do’s and don’ts of heat pumps
- Which homes are best suited to heat pumps?
- Why should you bother to insulate your home?
Communications pack for rental tenants
A pack to help tenants engage with landlords to improve the energy efficiency of their home.
- An email template to send to your landlord and/or letting agent
- A digital postcard containing information about how Cosy Homes Oxfordshire can support landlords with energy efficiency work
- Image cards which you can use on social media – tag your landlord/letting agent (and us! @cosyhomesoxon)
Retrofit news and blogs
Plus, there’s the Cosy Homes Oxfordshire blog, where we publish the latest news and updates from the world or home retrofit as well as blogs containing insights on home energy efficiency from our team.
- Research has shown that taking a whole house approach is one of the key factors in ensuring that home retrofit is as effective as possible at reducing the carbon footprint of a property. Whole house retrofit means that we are aiming to take a property to near
- The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is a UK government incentive scheme which offers homeowners payment for installing systems which generate renewable energy to heat the home – including heat pumps and biomass boilers. The Domestic Renewable Heat
- A new home is a clean slate. Whether it’s knocking down walls, ripping out kitchens, or planning an extension, it’s an opportunity to make this new house feel like your home. And whilst you’re already planning home renovations, it makes sense to get